So I’m sure you’ve all heard of 13 Reasons Why by now. I mean, even my dad has. I was initially going to watch 13 Reasons Why after PLL finishes, but then I decided that I just couldn’t wait any longer and sat down to watch it earlier this week.
13 Reasons Why focuses on the events that led up to teenager Hannah Baker’s suicide. Before she killed herself, Hannah recorded a series of tapes that explain why she didn’t want to live anymore, and each tape is dedicated to a different person in her life. The tapes are looked after by Hannah’s classmate Tony, who gives the tapes to the people who influenced Hannah’s death. Once one person has finished listening to the tapes, they pass them onto the next person. If they don’t, Tony will release them publically. At the start of the series, the tapes are with Clay Jensen (a.k.a. Number 11), who worked at the same cinema as Hannah. During the show, Clay tries to find out the truth about what happened, learning about the secrets Hannah and his other classmates were keeping in the process.
Although 13 Reasons Why is one of the most engrossing shows and left me wanting more, I kinda have a love / hate relationship with it. This post explains why in more detail:
- It’s addictive. If I wasn’t hungry all the time and didn’t have one million other things to do, I would’ve easily watched all the episodes in one sitting.
- The flashback scenes. Okay, yes, I did find them confusing at times, but I thought they made the story so much more realistic.
- The acting. The cast is brilliant, especially the parents, Clay and Hannah.
- It’s relatable and deals with things teens experience in real life. E.g. relationships, drugs, bullying and depression.
- The soundtrack. The choice of songs is perfect for this series. I particularly liked ‘Only You‘.
- It’ll make you so glad you’re no longer at school. Kids can be so horrible.
- Most of the actors were unknown before filming 13 Reasons Why. (Apart from one actor / actress who was previously in Gilmore Girls. Bonus points if you can figure out who) This is so that they won’t distract audiences from the story.
- It’s the ultimate binge-worthy show. While the episodes are quite long (around 50 minutes each), there’s only 13 overall and there is so much going on in each one, especially towards the end. However, the last few episodes can be a bit too much, so do proceed with caution.
- The whole revenge thing. It just didn’t make any sense that everyone was so mean towards Clay, yet kept being besties with Bryce. Though I do kinda get why the “popular” lot didn’t really want to include Tyler.
- The suicide scene. Why did it have to be so awful?
- Some of the character’s decisions. Why didn’t Hannah tell Jessica what really happened at the first party instead of just leaving it on a tape for everyone else to hear? Why did Hannah even go to the second party?
- Some of the actors looked waaaay too old to be in school. Especially Bryce and Marcus. I kept thinking Marcus was a teacher.
- It’ll break your heart and you’ll be crying for hours on end. Okay, just a slight exaggeration there, but you get my point.
Have you seen 13 Reasons Why? What did you think of it? What do you think will happen in the second season?